Wednesday 13 January 2010

Discovery

It's morning. She's in the bathroom and I - I can't remember when this habit started, but there was a reason - pick up her mobile from the pillow she'd left it on. I open messages and read ''Can you feel me do it now? I've been doing this all night, kissing delicately your neck, honey''.

I have to sit down. I go to the living room and sit on the sofa. My hand that holds the mobile is trembling. I can hear she's left the bathroom and is back in our daughter's bedroom. I go there, hand her the mobile and say ''You've got a message''. And then - I can't remember if at that particular moment, but I'm pretty sure on that morning - to my daughter, who's twelve, ''You've got a new daddy''. A cruel and vengeful thing that was aimed at an innocent child. I can't think of anyone or anything else now - my whole world has collapsed and nothing counts any more.

And it collapsed. Partly at my request.

No comments:

Post a Comment