Tuesday 19 January 2010

The State Steps In

Today a guy from the Social Services pays a visit. My wife has already seen him in his office. 'I can see in your eyes that there is more than what you tell me', he said to her. 'Yes', I comment when she tells me this, 'I've lost my mascara!'. She had been moaning all morning about it going missing and even suggesting at one point that ... I may have taken it. 'Sure. Mine's run out', I quip. A bit corny, but every little helps - of humor, I mean.

The evening before she complains about a lamp that needs fixing that I'm not too keen (as usual) to get round to. Then there's another techincal problem somewhere else around the house. When our daughter asks me something about the Social Services guy's visit - and she sounds relaxed about it - I say that the best thing he could do to help our family get on would be to grab a screwdriver and fix a few things here.

Our daughter appreciates the joke and smiles, the wife snorts and only I laugh out hartily.

But I am a bit concerned. Historically, he state - as you should know - has a tendency to screw things up whenever it gets involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment